Okay, friends, let’s take a moment to be really candid. Inhale. Exhale. Okay, truth be told, I used to have a really big thing for the Egg McMuffin. We…. had an illicit affair for a while before I moved onto healthier relationships. Every once in a while, though, I think back and remember that little breakfast sandwich with nostalgia. Well, the time finally came that the craving overcame, me and I had to do take action. Well, a little experimentation and a few eggsplosions in the microwave later, I present to you: the homemade egg muffin sandwich (I made a couple changes to suit my tastes, but this, as with almost all other recipes I throw out, is extremely flexible). Enjoy!
♥ an egg
♥ two thin ham slices (I use mine from those cheap lunchmeat packages)
♥ thin slices of cheese (you can use a slice of American for that more authentic McMuffin taste, but I’ve been using Jarlsberg because it’s delicious and not too overpowering)
♥ hummus (not very McMuffin-y, but adds a really nice flavor)
♥ an english muffin
♥ a microwavable measuring cup (1 cup)
- Crack your egg and put into the microwavable cup. Using a knife or pokey stick of some kind, make a hole in the yolk (I’ve found that will help keep the egg from exploding). Put it into the microwave for 25 seconds. Let rest, then microwave for 25, let rest. Than microwave once more for 25 and let rest.
- While you’re waiting on the cycles of the egg, put your muffin into the toaster, then heat a skillet to pretty high (I have an electric stove that ranges 1 - 9, I usually go to about 7-8).
- When the pan is hot, put your ham slices in. You’ll have to kind of mother over them, because they will cook quickly, but you essentially want them super cooked a little blackened here and there (makes them crisp and bacon-like).
- Once the muffin is toasted, put hummus on the top half. Place egg on the bottom half with ham slices on top of the egg and the cheese on top of the ham.
- Close top of sandwich and enjoy!